4 workers in resort under renovation test positive for coronavirus

Seaside Finolhu Maldives, B. Atoll. (Photo/Trip Adviser)

Four expatriates working on a renovation project at Seaside Finolhu Maldives, a resort located in B. Atoll, have tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Seaside Finolhu Maldives was closed for renovation earlier this year.

A spokesperson from Health Emergency Operations Center (HEOC) told Sun on Monday that one of the workers tested positive after travelling to Male’ City, and that the three additional cases were identified through contact tracing.

The spokesperson said that Seaside Finolhu Maldives is currently being monitored by Health Protection Agency (HPA), and that travel in and out of the islands is restricted.

Seaside Finolhu Maldives was previously scheduled to complete renovation and reopen in October.

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

Maldives has recorded 3,302 coronavirus cases, including 50 new cases identified on Sunday.

1,488 people – making for 45 percent of total coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 55 percent are foreign nationals. They include 1,458 Bangladeshis, 258 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 25 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

2,534 patients have since recovered, while 15 have died from complications.

The number of active cases stands at 738.