After nearly six months of hard efforts by the authorities and massive public compliance, the Maldives has made progress on combating COVID-19, Health Emergency Operations Center (HEOC) has stated.
The HEOC warned against stepping off the gas in the progress made so far, which could plunge the country back into a state of danger from the virus.
Speaking in a press conference last night, HEOC spokesperson Dr. Nazla Rafeeq said that the country had some progress in combating the pandemic virus due to the hard work of frontline workers and the compliance of the public in obeying the instructions by the authorities.
After weeks of case numbers above 100, the Maldives has been recording fewer than 100 since the past week. Dr. Nazla said that since August, a total of 2,705 individuals have been transferred to home quarantine in different islands.121 of these individuals later tested positive for the virus.
“Due to compliance to guidelines by those in quarantine, the virus was stopped from spreading in these islands any further.” Said Dr. Nazla who noted that the few instances of quarantine violations were identified.
Dr. Nazla noted the case of N. Manadhoo where a quarantined individual was discovered outdoors in violation which led to the entire island being placed under monitoring mechanisms.
Dr. Nazla said that such actions placed the entire island in danger before advising against such violations.
“Or we might lose the little progress we have made. The work we have done in the last six months. The difficulties endured by the public. It will all go to waste. SO, we advise remaining alert to this.” Said Dr. Nazla.
Maldives has confirmed a total of 9.052 cases of COVID-19, since identifying the first case on March 7. Currently, there are 1,966 active cases in the nation along with 142 hospitalized.
A total of 32 deaths have been recorded in connection with the virus in the country.