COVID-19: Maldives records 35 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) disinfects a street in Male' City after collecting samples from a containment site on May 22, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Sunday, announced 35 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 10,894.

According to HPA, the 35 new cases include 27 locals and eight foreigners.

All 35 cases were identified from the greater Male’ region.

Meanwhile, 59 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 9,742.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,110 active cases.

There are 368 patients in isolation facilities and 72 in hospitals.

1,282 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 35 new infections this Sunday, 364 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 11: 35 cases

October 10: 51 cases

October 9: 66 cases

October 8: 86 cases

October 7: 35 cases

October 6: 54 cases

October 5: 37 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,957 people – making for 63 percent of the 10,894 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

35 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 152 active coronavirus cases in 21 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 20 resorts, including 10 tourists and 16 staff.