COVID-19: Maldives records 50 new infections

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 50 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 10,993.

According to HPA, the 50 new cases include 48 locals and two foreigners.

46 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining four were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 50 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 9,833.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,118 active cases.

There are 384 patients in isolation facilities and 67 in hospitals.

1,389 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 50 new infections this Tuesday, 372 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 13: 50 cases

October 12: 49 cases

October 11: 35 cases

October 10: 51 cases

October 9: 66 cases

October 8: 86 cases

October 7: 35 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

7,039 people – making for 64 percent of the 10,993 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 36 percent are foreign nationals.

35 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 152 active coronavirus cases in 20 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 18 resorts, including 10 tourists and 19 staff.