Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 51 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,113.
According to HPA, the 51 new cases include 33 locals and 18 foreigners.
46 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 51 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 9,931.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,140 active cases.
There are 400 patients in isolation facilities and 54 in hospitals.
1,534 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 51 new infections this Thursday, 371 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
October 15: 51 cases
October 14: 69 cases
October 13: 50 cases
October 12: 49 cases
October 11: 35 cases
October 10: 51 cases
October 9: 66 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
7,101 people – making for 63 percent of the 11,113 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.
35 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
There are 146 active coronavirus cases in 18 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.
There are also active cases in 19 resorts, including 15 tourists and 22 staff.