Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Sunday, announced 32 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,210.
According to HPA, the 32 new cases include 27 locals and five foreigners.
21 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 11 were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 67 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 10,164.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 1,002 active cases.
There are 348 patients in isolation facilities and 39 in hospitals.
1,252 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 32 new infections this Sunday, 316 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
October 18: 32 cases
October 17: 24 cases
October 16: 41 cases
October 15: 51 cases
October 14: 69 cases
October 13: 50 cases
October 12: 49 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
7,185 people – making for 64 percent of the 11,210 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 36 percent are foreign nationals.
37 coronavirus patients have died from complications.