Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 110 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,314.
According to HPA, the 110 new cases include 31 locals and 79 foreigners.
86 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 24 cases were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 27 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,316.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 947 active cases.
There are 277 patients in isolation facilities and 59 in hospitals.
1,828 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 110 new infections this Monday, 305 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
November 16: 110 cases
November 15: 50 cases
November 14: 42 cases
November 13: 27 cases
November 12: 26 cases
November 11: 29 cases
November 10: 21 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.
7,760 people – making for 63 percent of the 12,314 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.
44 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
There are 14 active coronavirus cases in 10 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.
There are also active cases in 26 resorts, including 52 tourists and 128 staff.