Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 68 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,452.
According to HPA, the 68 new cases include 36 locals and 32 foreigners.
36 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 32 cases were identified from the atolls.
Meanwhile, 69 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,475.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 925 active cases.
There are 332 patients in isolation facilities and 73 in hospitals.
1,530 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.
With the 68 new infections this Thursday, 357 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
November 19: 68 cases
November 18: 19 cases
November 17: 41 cases
November 16: 110 cases
November 15: 50 cases
November 14: 42 cases
November 13: 27 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.
7,845 people – making for 63 percent of the 12,452 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.
45 coronavirus patients have died from complications.
There are 15 active coronavirus cases in 11 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.
There are also active cases in 27 resorts, including 46 tourists and 110 staff.