Umar: Adeeb being questioned in Rilwan

Home Minister Umar Naseer has said that police had started questioning former Vice President Ahmed Adeeb Abdul Gafoor in relation to disappearance of Minivan News journalist Ahmed Rilwan Abdulla.

Conveying Minister Umar’s word to “Sun”, Home Ministry media coordinator Thazmeel Abdul Samad said on Thursday that police investigative team was questioning Adeeb regarding Rilwan’s disappearance.

“Home Minister said today that police were questioning former Vice President Ahmed Adeeb Abdul Gafoor regarding Ahmed Rilwan Abdulla’s disappearance,” he said.

Speaking to press after meeting Rilwan’s family, Minister Umar had said that the government would do everything possible to solve the mystery of his disappearance, and that “no stone would be left unturned” by police in their investigation.

Allegations that some top state officials – specifically Adeeb – had a hand in Rilwan’s disappearance was one of the theories that had spread in social media regarding the case.

This is however the first time that Adeeb is knows to have been officially questioned by police regarding the case.

Speaking during the May Day protest, Adhaalath Party President Al-Shiekh Imran Abdulla had voiced out allegations that police had full knowledge of what happened to Rilwan, and that Former Commissioner of Police Hussein Waheed and Adeeb had but a hold reports pertaining to the case.

“Police have the reports, the investigation. But Ahmed Adeeb and Hussein Waheed from this cruel government have put a hold on the reports. There will be no tolerance for this from here on out. God willing, there will be no tolerance for this from here on out. God willing, from here on out, there will be no chance to hold the reports,” said Imran.

He said that there were all sorts of reports coming in regarding Rilwan’s disappearance. And that police had a duty to reveal the truth.

“We have received various information. Some people have said he had been cut to pieces and put in a sack. Some people have said he had been drowned. Police need to reveal the truth behind this,” he said.

Police, in their earlier statements issued regarding Rilwan’s disappearance have said that police had put a lot of effort into the investigation, but had been unable to find out what happened to him.

Rilwan was last seen over a year ago – on August 8, 2014 from Male-Hulhumale Ferry Terminal in Male’.