COVID-19: 32 new infections, 62 recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 32 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 12,578.


According to HPA, the 32 new cases include 17 locals and 15 foreigners.

19 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 13 cases were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 62 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 11,559.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 967 active cases.

There are 341 patients in isolation facilities and 82 in hospitals.

1,561 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 32 new infections this Saturday, 414 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

November 21: 32 cases

November 20: 94 cases

November 19: 68 cases

November 18: 19 cases

November 17: 41 cases

November 16: 110 cases

November 15: 50 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.

7,893 people – making for 62 percent of the 12,578 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

45 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 17 active coronavirus cases in 14 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area.

There are also active cases in 30 resorts, including 52 tourists and 155 staff.